new prism (connexant)

Derek Schuff schuffdl
Tue Jun 15 08:36:04 PDT 2004

This is possible; however i think this is a problem endemic to 802.11, since
802.11 management frames are unauthenticated, allowing spoofing of not only
EAPOL logoff frames, but 802.11 disassociate frames as well. This is one
reason everyone says to never use WLAN as critical infrastructure. I think
this was also how the (in)famous LEAP dictionary attack was mounted: spoof
the EAP logoff, then sniff the password hash when the client has to log back
on.
In the wired world, maybe you could make your switch smart enough to check the
existing bridge table and drop EAPOL logoff frames that don't come from the
right switch port, or something like that.