Prism54 WPA Support - wpa_supplicant - Linux general wpa support

Pedro Ramalhais ramalhais
Wed Jun 2 19:38:05 PDT 2004

Pre-Scriptum: Please excuse me for cross posting and/or if this mail is
not relevant for the recipient mailing list/people.

Hi Jouni (and other interest wireless driver developers)!
As you may know (or not), the ipw2100 driver is somewhat based on hostap
code. We use some code from hostap in the ipw2100 driver, and use the
hostap driver externally as a way to provide WEP.
I'm currently working on turning hostap_crypt* into ieee80211_crypt* in
such a way that could be used in a generic way by all drivers that need
host based WEP (and TKIP/CCMP). I basically renamed the hostap_crypt* to
ieee80211_crypt* and search&replaced hostap with ieee80211. Also made
hostap_crypt.c into a module (instead of having to rely on hostap.o).
I have WEP working and a Makefile that can be used in the kernel or
externally. I took a look at the TKIP and CCMP source files and it is
somewhat tied up to ioctls and headers (just took a quick look correct
me if i'm wrong) from hostap. This makes it somewhat difficult to turn
them into code that compiles without hostap code.
Besides this, the ipw2100 code also has an attempt at a somewhat generic
ieee80211 interface for drivers. ieee80211_rx.c is mostly based on
hostap_hw.c code (which looks like is now in CVS as hostap_80211_rx.c )
and there's also ieee80211_tx.c which i think was created from scratch
by James Ketrenos (ipw2100 main developer @intel).
My question is: would it be interesting to try and merge code from
hostap, ipw2100 and possibly other drivers to try to create generic code
for 80211 and 80211_crypt? How much interest is there on the part of the
developers (hostap, prism54, atmel, etc...). I'm asking this because
AFAICS, the hostap driver always had an history of more focus on new
features, functionality, bug fixes, than "standard" APIs, etc... and i
completely understand that and thank god it has been like this because
the final result was a really nice driver.
Would you accept patches at least for now to make hostap_crypt* into
ieee80211_crypt*?
Sorry, i have so many questions and ideas, that i cannot express myself
very well =:-).
This is getting lengthy, so, hope you got the idea at least of some of
my questions/ideas/worries, etc....
Thank you!

PS: Comments, ideas, proposals, etc are welcome for discussion.(What is
the best way to discuss this matter? There's a large number of
developers involved. Maybe netdev?)

--
Pedro Ramalhais <ramalhais at serrado.net>