EAPOL frame too short error with Cisco 1200 AP

Jouni Malinen jkmaline
Tue Jun 1 20:20:16 PDT 2004

On Tue, Jun 01, 2004 at 01:14:43PM -0400, Derek Schuff wrote:

> One other thing I forgot to mention that was probably unrelated was that it
> makes a very poor choice of AP when it scans. My office has very good
> coverage, and there are 2 or 3 APs better than the one it chose.
> (00:0c:85:60:f1:b4). When I use the card in normal WEP mode it does pick the
> closest AP, but not with wpa_supplicant.

The current version of the Host AP driver & wpa_supplicant uses a method
which moves AP selection to wpa_supplicant. This is not always the best
choice since wpa_supplicant does not have all the information available
for AP selection (it just picks the first one with suitable
configuration). The driver is supposed to provide the scan results in
prefered order, but the current version might not do this properly,
especially in cases where the APs use multiple SSIDs. Anyway, this is a
known issue and I'm working on a bit different alternative mechanism
that gives more control to the firmware/driver.