Problems in combination: Bridging and HostAP driver.

Brian Sturgill zen_hacker
Thu Jul 29 13:02:23 PDT 2004

After you bridge the two interfaces, the bridge assumes the mac address of
one of the interfaces. On my setup, it always assumes the mac of the
wireless card. You may have to dump  the arp cache of your machines or wait
for the machines to dump it on their own. I have this same issue when I use
my linux based access point. If I reboot the HostAP machine and run ping -t
(ip address) from my windows box, when the eth interface comes up it starts
getting replies. As soon as the bridges is created and is up, I get request
timed out like the machine is gone. The machine is actually up but the arp
cache makes it think that mac address is gone and thus no longer there. Wait
a few minutes and see if you can ping it. This is especially true if you
have a router between you and the box.  You may want to clear the ip of both
interfaces before bringing the bridge up. Here is my setup:

/sbin/brctl addbr br0
/sbin/brctl addif br0 eth0
/sbin/brctl addif br0 wlan0
/sbin/ifconfig eth0 0.0.0.0
/sbin/ifconfig wlan0 0.0.0.0
/sbin/ifconfig br0 192.168.2.30 broadcast 192.168.2.255 netmask
255.255.255.0 up
/sbin/route add default gw 192.168.2.1

Brian