Host AP for Prism 54

Luis R. Rodriguez mcgrof
Wed Jul 28 02:01:05 PDT 2004

On Tue, Jul 27, 2004 at 06:54:52PM -0700, Simon French wrote:
> Hi Chris,
>
> I did read that document before posting and I know that only Prism 2-3 is supported. I was just kind of wondering why. Has anyone tried to extend the driver to support 802.11g cards before? Isn't anyone interested in working on it? I just think it sucks that 802.11g is supposed to be the next step in evolution over 802.11b. But in order to use it, we have to give up our right to change the code and go back to using proprietary firmware. Then we are at the mercy of the manufacturers again (and Connexant isn't exactly the most Linux-friendly company out there).
>
> Simon

There are many reasons why hostap driver cannot be used for prism GT chipsets.
The most obvious reason is that its a different chipset.

WPA support is being worked on prism54, it will use wpa_supplicant as
this is a user-base application that can be integrated to work with other
wireless drivers.

In regards to your comment about Conexant -- you're wrong. In
perspective, Conexant is actually one the most Linux-friendly companies out
there.

--
GnuPG Key fingerprint = 113F B290 C6D2 0251 4D84  A34A 6ADD 4937 E20A 525E