Host AP for Prism 54

Chris Evans cwevans
Tue Jul 27 10:27:51 PDT 2004

you mention prism54.org which is for g based cards.

FAQ #8 has...

8. Does Host AP driver support IEEE 802.11a and 802.11g? Does it support
    chipsets other than Prism 2/2.5/3?

Host AP driver supports only Intersil Prism chipsets, versions 2, 2.5,
and 3. Those chipsets support IEEE 802.11b only; other chipsets are
not supported. All utilities distributed with Host AP driver except
wpa_supplicant work only with Host AP driver, so they are limited to
the same hardware. wpa_supplicant works with other drivers, including
those that support 802.11a and 802.11g.

On Jul 27, 2004, at 10:16 AM, Simon French wrote:

> Hi all,
> ?
> I'm just starting out with using wifi on Linux. I have a Prism Durette
> card and I wonder why I can't use the host AP driver with it. I know
> there is a driver at prism54.org specifically for the Prism Durette &
> friends, but it is lagging well behind in features. Not only do I want
> to use WPA. I also want to use multiple SSIDs at the same time. I want
> to?configure?my?firewall?to?let me?access the?local
> network?with?one?SSID, but also?let my?neighbors use my AP with a
> different SSID (to access the Internet only). Plus it's just more fun
> for me to?learn about the?wifi code?if I can?hack the driver myself.
> ?
> Anyone know what would be involved to support this? I have heard that
> the new prism firmware doesn't support host AP mode. But it seems to
> me that the Prism Durette can't be fundamentally incompatible with
> host AP mode because?it allows me to sniff packets on the wlan. If I
> can do that, I ought to be able to process them using the hostap
> driver's code path. Right?
> ?
> Thanks for your advice,
> Simon
> ?
>
> Do you Yahoo!?
> Yahoo! Mail - Helps protect you from nasty
> viruses._______________________________________________
> HostAP mailing list
> HostAP at shmoo.com

       -+--++---+++----++++-----+++++-----++++----+++---++--+-
      ___
  _.-|   |          |\__/,|   (`\      | Chris Evans
  "-.|___|        _.( T   )  `  /      | cwevans at acm.org
.+|______|__.-||__)`-'(((/  (((/      |  "Any technology distinguishable
                                       |  from magic, is not advanced
   Nika plays with a computer mouse    |  enough" -- Gregory Benford
       BY: Mike Rosulek                |
          http://showcase.netins.net/web/mikewrld/ascii/