WindowsXP and WPA and reauth

Jouni Malinen jkmaline
Mon Jul 26 06:24:38 PDT 2004

On Mon, Jul 26, 2004 at 01:54:57PM +0200, Gunter Burchardt wrote:

> I tried to reauthenticate the WindowsXP supplicant (Patch KB826942) with
> hostapd. Reauthentication works, but after 5 seconds windows looses
> connection. It seams that windows want a WPA-Handshake after
> reauthentication. If windows don't get an EAPOL-Key frame after 5
> seconds it breaks the connection.

Which wireless card are you using with WinXP and which driver (including
version and date)?

> Windows EAPOL-LOG (while reauth)
> [1160] 12:07:14: ElTimeoutCallbackRoutine entered^M
> [1160] 12:07:14: EAPOL-Key for transmit key *NOT* received within 5
> seconds in AUTHENTICATED state^M
>
> It is possible that hostap can do such a handshake after
> reauthentication? What says the specification about reauthentication
> and WPA (I think the bug is (as always) in windows)?

I tried to reproduce this the last time this was reported, but could
not.. Reauthentication worked fine with Atheros cards on WinXP.

Could you please send full debug logs (both hostapd and WinXP eapol
trace) for the first authentication and the reauth attempt? Please also
send your hostapd.conf file.