Please, somebody, HOW do you MAKE WDS WORK??

mrcool at stupidgamerz.com mrcool
Mon Jul 12 10:12:32 PDT 2004

In all my playing with hostap, i have yet to make WDS work.

AP1:  is a DWL650 pccard have to ram load firmware.  6/2/04 CVS, SuSE 9.0.
This AP has been working fine since at least 6/2/04.  Only KNOWN issue with
this machine is that 'iwspy wlan0' returns "no statistics to collect"
regardless of how many clients are attached...  (and working).

iwpriv wlan0 other_ap_policy 1
iwpriv wlan0 wds_type 4
iwpriv wlan0 wds_add xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:02

brctl eth0, wlan0, wlan0wds0

All commands seem to exacute correctly, and dmesg shows connection speed
changes showing the mac of AP2 (which makes me think it wants to work).

AP2:  DWL520 pci card have to ram load firmware.  Same SuSE, same CVS
drivers.

iwpriv wlan1 other_ap_policy 1
iwpriv wlan1 wds_type 4
iwpriv wlan1 wds_add xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:01

Now, AP2 has 3 ifaces, eth0, wlan0 (managed, but not associated to another
AP), wlan1.  The extra interface could be eliminated if WDS would work.
Also, the interfaces are ROUTED not bridged.  Do i need to use bridging?  If
so, bridge what to what?  AP1 has 1.7.4, and AP2 has 1.5.6 firmware.

What other info can i provide (and what commands to get it) to help
troubleshoot this problem?  Thanks all

Jerryf