HostAP bugs

mike-hopstap at tiedyenetworks.com mike-hopstap
Thu Jan 22 22:05:28 PST 2004

On Thu, 22 Jan 2004, Jouni Malinen wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 21, 2004 at 12:40:22AM -0800, mike-hostap at tiedyenetworks.com wrote:
>
> Which version of the driver are you using? If it is not from
> development branch, those messages may be triggered by beacon frames.
> Current CVS version should avoid this for beacon frames, but other
> broadcast frames, like Probe Requests may still reported in some cases.
> Just commenting out that line in handle_ap_item() (hostap_ap.c) should
> be suitable fix for this.

	I'm currently using 1.2 but I just rolled up the current cvs
version and was going to give it a shot.

> > 	In conjunction with this, there is an occasional
> > problem which I think is related where hostap will disassociate all
> > clients and not allow any new reassociations, for no obvious  reason or
> > cause.
>
> Which station firmware version are you using? There are some bugs in the
> Host AP mode which may cause this kind of issues after card reset. I
> haven't seen this myself, but you might want to try upgrading to STA f/w
> 1.7.5 or newer for some bug fixes.

	I have 1.7.2 running on seano 200mw cards (pcmcia), which I had
upgraded to because I wanted the 4 address framing so that bridging
would work correctly. I have located 1.8.0 - is this an acceptable
version?

> Do you include debug level messages in syslog? If not, does 'dmesg' show
> anything useful? Does COR sreset (iwpriv wlan# reset 1) fix this state?

	I'm piping all the log messages to a central log server, and
there's never anything interesting from the kernel when this occurs. I'm
using busybox which I think just logs everything. With respect to reset 1,
I will be happy to add this to my watchdog script so that it tries it
before rebooting the system. Obviously we'll have to wait for the problem
to recur but I'll post to the list if and when it does.

--

WillitsOnline.Com - Your LOCAL provider of High Speed Internet!