Master-Mode not working

Jouni Malinen jkmaline
Tue Jan 13 19:34:46 PST 2004

On Wed, Jan 14, 2004 at 01:39:19AM +0100, Stefan Krecher wrote:

> The WLAN-Adapter is a Linksys WPC11 Ver. 3 (Prism 3), with firmware:
> wlan0: STA: id=0x1f v1.4.2

> The hostap-driver works fine in managed-mode, when I associate with
> another access-point (with or without wep).
> When I switch to master-mode to act as an access-point, neither Win XP
> nor Mac OS X Notebooks recognize the Debian-Box as an access-point.

FAQ #3:

3. What is wrong with Host AP mode in secondary (station) firmware
v1.4.2?

It looks like secondary firmware v1.4.2 sends beacon frames properly,
but does not respond to probe requests. With most station cards, this
prevents authentication and association and thus, in practice, no data
frames can be sent. It has been reported that at least some Cisco
Aironet 350 cards can associate with Host AP mode even with firmware
v1.4.2 (i.e., without receiving probe response), but Prism2 and
Lucent/ORiNOCO/Agere seem to require probe response and they do not
thus associate with AP using v1.4.2 firmware.

This is fixed in later secondary firmware versions; probably already
in 1.4.3, but at least 1.4.9 has been tested to work. In other words,
this problem can be fixed by upgrading card firmware.