Using HostAP in a mixed Managed/Master mode

Gilles Boccon-Gibod bok
Sun Jan 11 02:11:04 PST 2004

I'm trying to achieve a specific configuration, and I'm curious to find out
if it would be possible to do this with HostAP and only one hardware device:
I'd like the drive to use the device to connect to an access point (in
Managed mode), as we all be an access point (with a different ESSID) for
other clients to connect to. Not in a bridged mode (which I guess could be
done with WDS), but routing, where the AP mode would be on a different
subnet.
Typicaly, this would be used to allow a situation where one laptop connects
to an access point (for example at a hotspot), and wants to share the
connection with other laptops, who cannot talk to the AP directly, but could
use the laptop as an AP that could then route their traffic (using NAT)
through the AP it is connected to:

client A ------+
client B-------+----AP - D -[NAT]------ AP E
client C-------+

There might be a problem with the fact that the device only has one MAC
addr, but I guess that this scenario would seem possible.
Does anyone know if there is a way to do this with the current driver ?

-- Gilles