Latency problems related to hostap?

Sven Packebusch Sven.Packebusch
Fri Feb 27 05:08:29 PST 2004

Dear list, once again...

I went back for further analysing the last days and now I definitly know, that it has to be
something (maybe easily configurable) with the hostap package in conjunction with the
Realtek chipset of the Laptop card. Why? Read on:

First the answers to the two replies I got:
- It has nothing to do with any power saving options on the Laptop, these are completely
disabled.
- There's no impact on my problem at all if I disable WEP or take the bridge down.

We took the Laptop to a friends place who is using an AOL-wireless AP supporting a lot more
stuff. Interesting to us was only the performance of the Laptop being associated to this access
point.

Differences:

Behaviour beeing associated with my hostap: (as described below)
> > The "hiccups" can be monitored in the Windows Driver Tool delivered with the card. There
> > you have a status information field which is showing "associated" during normal operation.
> > On occurance of the problem it is switching to "checking status" for the durance of the
> > hiccup, afterwards it is showing the link qualitiy and the signal state as "very good" again.
Additional information: The interval between those "status checks" turned out to be exactly
60s in between, meaning if "x" would be our start time:
x -> hiccup, "checking status"
x + 3s -> resuming normal operation, link quality and status are shown again
x + 63s -> hiccup, "checking status"
x + 66s -> resuming normal operation, link quality and status are shown again
x + 126s -> hiccup, "checking status"

Behaviour beeing associated with the AOL-AP:
You don't get any "checking status" messages at all, Link status and Link quality are shown all the time. Still some of the pings get lost or a bad response time. But this is not a problem in general having an interval. It is more related to the bad signal quality and strength provided by the tiny wireless device in this AP.

So again:
Is there anyone out there knowing something about this strange 60s Intervall causing the connection to hang?

Thanks to all reading this and especially to the two having answered to me!

Cheers,

Sven