Receiving RSSI information on a per-packet basis in AP mode?

Jouni Malinen jkmaline
Sun Feb 15 17:26:36 PST 2004

On Thu, Jan 22, 2004 at 10:01:03AM -0500, Joshua Wright wrote:

> I'm trying to collect RSSI information for associated stations on a per-packet basis.  I understand that HostAP will report the Prism2 AVS header information when configured in RFMON mode with "prism2_control monitor_type 2" (ARPHRD_IEEE80211_PRISM), but I'd like to be able to capture this information about associated stations while in master mode.

That would require patching Linux networking code to allow such meta
data being included with the frame (either in the beginning of the data
or preferably as a completely separate structure within struct sk_buff).
In addition, some kind of mechanism would be needed to pass this
information to user space (something like recvmsg() ancillary data).