DWL 520 E1 (the continuing saga)

Cliff cliffo
Sun Feb 1 13:06:22 PST 2004

Oh yes, the saga does continue ;)

I've been having trouble getting rev E1 firmware to load on my hardware
(see below).  The hardware in question is an athlon xp 2600+ running on
an MSI K7N2 Delta ILSR motherboard.

I have found that many repeated attempts to upload primary firmware
(prism2_srec -gs ...) eventually results in success (dmesg finally stops
reporting "wifi0: valid PDA not found").

The number of repeated attempts necessary seems to vary and *could* be
based on how fast I can repeat the command (up arrow, enter, up arrow,
enter, etc...) but I can't be sure about this.

Also, the only difference in dmesg output between a successful load and
unsuccessful is the "valid PDA not found" message.  Every other message
appears to be the same.  Additionally, once the firmware is uploaded
successfully it always loads successfully.  Repeated upload attempts do
not give any further error messages (including unloading the module and
repeating the load sequence) until next reboot (might even need to be a
power off reboot).

Of course, once I've played the game of mass uploading, I can complete
the rest of the steps and connect to an access point (finally!).

In my very non-technical view I would guess this is a timing issue of
some sort and that somehow in all my upload attempts the timing just
happens to work out and all is well?  What say you?

Thanks for you continued perserverance,
Cliff