Only works if I use particular command line options.

Nigel Cunningham ncunningham
Sun Dec 26 19:23:49 PST 2004

Hi.

Thanks for the quick reply.

On Mon, 2004-12-27 at 13:17, Jouni Malinen wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 27, 2004 at 12:42:53PM +1100, Nigel Cunningham wrote:
>
> > I'm a new user. I've just tried the 0.2.6 and 0.3.2. In both cases, I
> > can successfully use a WPA-PSK configuration, but only if I add -dd and
> > omit backgrounding the daemon (-B) (success being measured by having
> > dhclient ath0 get an address afterwards). As soon as I drop a debugging
> > level, background the daemon or try redirecting output to a log file, it
> > doesn't work for me. Is this a bug in the driver, or am I doing
> > something wrong?
>
> That sounds like a timing issue either in the client between
> wpa_supplicant and the driver or between the client and the AP. Which AP
> are you using? Could you please send that log file from a failed run
> with full debug info (-dd) redirected?

AP is access point? I'll give you all the info, just in case I'm wrong
there. The access point is a Dlink G604-T which I own & can reconfigure
if needs be. The NIC is a WG311T. I'm using the current MadWifi drivers,
and the 0.3.2 supplicant code.

Your mention of a possible timing issue clicked when I looked at the
command line options and saw that -Bw means two separate options (I was
trying to dumbly following a howto :>). Leaving the -w in, it works for
me (perhaps I also removed the -w when doing the testing with -d). Sorry
for the false bug report.

My problem now is getting it to work in a bridge configuration. At the
moment, my little test script looks like:

#!/bin/bash

while [ -n "$1" ]; do
        case $1 in
                nounload)
                        NOUNLOAD=1
                        ;;
                noload)
                        NOLOAD=1
                        ;;
                nobridge)
                        NOBRIDGE=1
                        ;;
                *)
                        echo "Unrecognised option: $1"
                        exit 1
                        ;;
                esac
                shift
done

if [[ -z $NOUNLOAD ]]; then
        echo Removing modules...

        ifconfig br0 down
        brctl delif br0 ath0
        brctl delif br0 eth0
        brctl delbr br0
        rmmod bridge
        ifconfig eth0 down

        killall -9 if-plugd
        killall -9 wpa_supplicant
        ifconfig ath0 down

        rmmod ath_pci
        rmmod ath_rate_onoe
        rmmod wlan_tkip
        rmmod wlan
        rmmod ath_hal
fi

if [[ -z $NOLOAD ]]; then
        echo Loading interface...
        if [[ -z $NOBRIDGE ]]; then
                brctl addbr br0
                ifconfig eth0 up
                ifconfig ath0 up
                ifconfig br0 up
                brctl addif br0 ath0
                brctl addif br0 eth0
                wpa_supplicant -c/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf -Dmadwifi -iath0 -B -w
                dhclient br0
        else
                wpa_supplicant -c/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf -Dmadwifi -iath0 -B -w
                dhclient ath0
                exit 0
        fi
fi

And it doesn't work in bridged mode....

> [root at desktop etc]# /root/ath0-commands
> Removing modules...
> if-plugd: no process killed
> ERROR: Module wlan_tkip does not exist in /proc/modules
> Internet Software Consortium DHCP Client V3.0.1rc13
> Copyright 1995-2002 Internet Software Consortium.
> All rights reserved.
> For info, please visit http://www.isc.org/products/DHCP
>
> ppp0: unknown hardware address type 512
> /sbin/dhclient-script: configuration for br0 not found.
> ppp0: unknown hardware address type 512
> Listening on LPF/br0/00:07:e9:70:63:9e
> Sending on   LPF/br0/00:07:e9:70:63:9e
> Sending on   Socket/fallback
> DHCPDISCOVER on br0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 4
> DHCPDISCOVER on br0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 7
> DHCPDISCOVER on br0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 14
> DHCPDISCOVER on br0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 13
> DHCPDISCOVER on br0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 20

I see the activity light on the DLink flicker, so I guess it's receiving
the request, but the reply isn't getting through.

Regards,

Nigel
--
Nigel Cunningham