Problem bringing up Netgear WG511 interface

Steven Ihde x-hostap
Sat Dec 18 11:18:57 PST 2004

You need to run wpa_supplicant before pump.  No traffic other than the
WPA authentication will be able to pass before WPA is complete.  You
need to "ifconfig" the interface up before running wpa_supplicant.

Best to try to get it to work "manually" without the fancy "ifup"
stuff first:

ifconfig eth1 up
wpa_supplicant -i eth1 -D ndiswrapper -c ... [-d or -dd if you have trouble]
pump eth1 (I use dhclient3, not pump, not sure of the exact command line)

If that works, then try to get it to work with ifup.  My
/etc/network/interfaces looks like this:

iface ath0 inet dhcp
        wireless-essid xxx
        wireless-mode Managed
        pre-up wpa_cli -i $IFACE status > /dev/null 2>&1 || ip link set $IFACE up && wpa_supplicant -i $IFACE -D madwifi -c /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf -B
        post-down pkill -f "^wpa_supplicant -i $IFACE" || true

The pre-up command uses wpa_cli to check if wpa_supplicant is already
running.  If not, it brings the low-level iface up (ip link set $IFACE
up; ifconfig $IFACE up would work too) and then runs wpa_supplicant.

post-down kills wpa_supplicant.

-Steve