Corrupted Prism2 Card

Lawrence Wong lawrencewong72
Thu Dec 16 08:24:08 PST 2004

Hi all,

I was trying to upgrade my LinkSys WMP11 PCI wireless
card using the hostap utils and it seems like I
corrupted the Primary Firmware. I am wondering if
anyone has encountered this problem before or knows
how to fix it.

Before upgrading, everything is working fine and dmesg
shows the following when the hostap & hostap_pci
modules are loaded:

hostap_pci: Registered netdevice wifi0
wifi0: Original COR value: 0x0
prism2_hw_init: initialized in 195 ms
wifi0: NIC: id=0x8013 v1.0.0
wifi0: PRI: id=0x15 v1.1.0
wifi0: STA: id=0x1f v1.8.0
wifi0: Intersil Prism2.5 PCI: mem=0xeb400000, irq=10
wifi0: registered netdevice wlan0

During upgrading, the following is shown on dmesg:

prism2_download: dl_cmd=3 start_addr=0x00000000
num_areas=3
Download buffer: 4096 bytes at 0x0060:0x0000
prism2_hw_init: initialized in 85 ms
wifi0: starting flash download
prism2_hw_init: initialized in 2 ms
wifi0: NIC: id=0x8013 v1.0.0
wifi0: PRI: id=0x15 v1.1.1
Could not get RID for component STA
wifi0: Failed to read STA f/w version - only Primary
f/w present
wifi0: Card initialized successfully after flash
download
wifi0: CMD=0x0002 => res=0x7f, resp0=0x0001

After the upgrading is over, I tried to activate the
wireless interface and the following is shown:

wifi0: NIC: id=0x8013 v1.0.0
wifi0: PRI: id=0x15 v1.1.1
Could not get RID for component STA
wifi0: Failed to read STA f/w version - only Primary
f/w present
wifi0: Intersil Prism2.5 PCI: mem=0xeb400000, irq=10
wifi0: registered netdevice wlan0
wlan0: CMD=0x0001 => res=0x7f, resp0=0x0001
wlan0: MAC port 0 enabling failed
wlan0: could not enable MAC port

I am no longer able to access the wireless interface.
hostap_diag also does not work.

./hostap_diag wlan0
Host AP driver diagnostics information for 'wlan0'

ioctl[PRISM2_IOCTL_HOSTAPD]: No such device
Could not communicate with the kernel driver.

I used the following commandline to upgrade the
Primary Firmware and prism_srec did not complain of
any incompatibilities (it said OK) when I ran it
without the "-f" parameter.

./prism2_srec -f wlan0 ak010104.hex

Can anyone help me out in this or is my card off to
heaven?

TIA!