Pseudo_IBSS mode issues

JAMES KABA jkaba
Mon Dec 13 19:02:04 PST 2004

Anand,
   I'd love to here other responses, but here's my 2 cents.

   I have seen this as well.  For the record, it is the cards in
pseudo_ibss mode that are "misconfigured," since pseudo_ibss is not part
of the IEEE 802.11 standard.  (It's a shame, too, because this "ad hoc
demo mode" is such a useful mode.)

   The cards are still technically in pseudo_ibss mode, (i.e. they
aren't generating any management frames), its just that they have
updated their cell id to the one in the management frame they received
from the node in "official ad hoc mode."  They can talk to other
pseudo_ibss nodes that have been similarly corrupted, but not to
pseudo_ibss nodes who are still in cell:00:00:00:00:00:00 and not to
nodes in regular ad hoc mode.

   I think the real fix would be a simple firmware fix.  ( if mode ==
pseudo_ibss then don't listen to management frames.)  That is, nodes in
pseudo_ibss mode should not create any management frames, NOR should
they listen to management frames.  If anyone has any pull with the
firmware driver developers, please ask them for this very simple fix!!!

   I have found that the key to not seeing this problem is to never have
any nodes with the same ESSID be in anything other than ad_hoc mode!
The way to do this is to get all your cards into pseudo_ibss mode before
they are brought up.  --To do this, I use the pcmcia cardservices
scripts instead of doing this configuration "by hand".  If you include
these lines in you /etc/pcmcia/wireless.opts file
    MODE="Ad-Hoc"
    IWPRIV="prism2_param 4 1"
you'll be in good shape.  These are the equivalent of what you mention
below, but they are used to configure the card into pseudo_ibss mode
before it is actually brought up.

(Note:  I've only seen this problem while trying to bootstrap/debug a
new driver or something -- never in "steady state" -- so it seems to be
pretty reliable.)

Jim