WPA2(hostapd latest CVS) and madwifi driver

Jouni Malinen jkmaline
Sun Dec 5 15:50:54 PST 2004

On Sat, Dec 04, 2004 at 09:32:45AM +0100, Gunter Burchardt wrote:

> I think that your client expect to do WPA. And with WPA it needs
> groupkey exchange after 4 way handshake. If the station didn't get a
> groupkey, it disconnects after about 45 seconds!

WPA and WPA2 use different packets in 4-Way handshake, so if client is
expecting WPA, it will not be able to complete 4-Way handshake with an
AP that is using WPA2.

> Lets come back to hostapd. My tests shows that hostapd sets wpa version
> of station to WPA2 in some cases even though station is only WPA.
> Especialy on reauthenticate this problem accours very often.

Would you happen to have a full debug log of a test run where hostapd
assuming client was using WPA2 even if it weren't?