Updated WE-18 (WPA) proposal

Luis R. Rodriguez mcgrof
Tue Aug 31 14:04:46 PDT 2004

On Tue, Aug 31, 2004 at 06:48:48PM +0300, Vladimir Kondratiev wrote:
>  at PR> > > doing so for the RealTek 8180 driver I am about to publish.
> PR> >
> PR> > Can someone elaborate on what "chunks" the centrino driver is using
> PR> > from hostap?
> PR> >
> PR> > Jeff what aspects are you looking to re-use from hostap?
> PR> >
> PR> > I guess we at prism54 should also see what we can re-use too then.
> PR> > Our next driver (a softmac driver) will have a lot more code since the
> PR> > MAC will need to be implemented on the driver side -- I'm not yet sure
> PR> > of the exact details as I haven't grep'd through the available code yet
> PR> > I'm wondering though -- are there any other softmac drivers out there,
> PR> > or to come soon?
> PR> >
> PR> >  Luis
> PR>
> PR> The ipw2100 driver and ipw2200 driver both use these parts of hostap
> PR> code:
> PR> RX code (i think now it's in file hostap_80211_rx.c)
> PR> little parts of the TX code (hostap_80211_tx.c)
> PR> the hostap_crypt* code for WEP.
> PR> Some IEEE802.11 related parts of header files.
> PR> The ipw2100 is beggining to use hostap_crypt_tkip and hostap_crypt_ccmp
> PR> for WPA and WPA2.
> PR>
> PR> I think that's it. Better ask James Ketrenos, he is one of the
> PR> developers at intel.
>
> Luis,
> please correct me if I'm wrong. It seems to me that softmac drivers will need
> significant changes relative to the model that HostAP employ.

I am not sure as:

1. I haven't yet gone through hostap code besides wpa_supplicant
2. I haven't yet gone through the available softmac code:

http://www.dse.co.nz/isroot/dse/support/XH8196-linux.zip

Only once I have done both will I be able to tell. My guess yes
as I do not think hostap is softmac based.

> Also, many
> changes dictated by QoS (TGe), if one want to really implement it. Will your
> product support TGe?

Again, 2.

> May be, we need to do design for generic "softmac" that will be then used with
> different PHY's.

That's where I was going with my previous e-mail.

> Question is, whether we can formally describe boundary
> between softmac and PHY.

We need as much public information available on softmac and review, or
have someone experienced enough in this field to talk up.

> I am interesting in joining this "softmac" development, as I will do some
> other .11 card which is "softmac". Can't reveal details yet, but we may
> discuss softmac issues without disclosing private info (I don't want to lose
> my job).

Well at least this confirms another card will be softmac based, and
hence the possible need for code sharing.

--
GnuPG Key fingerprint = 113F B290 C6D2 0251 4D84  A34A 6ADD 4937 E20A 525E