Updated WE-18 (WPA) proposal

Jouni Malinen jkmaline
Mon Aug 30 18:30:51 PDT 2004

On Tue, Aug 31, 2004 at 01:49:47AM +0100, Pedro Ramalhais wrote:

> #define IW_AUTH_RX_UNENCRYPTED_EAPOL   8
> I think this define isn't needed because you can get the same
> information from IW_AUTH_KEY_MGMT:
> #define IW_AUTH_KEY_MGMT_802_1X        1
> #define IW_AUTH_KEY_MGMT_PSK   2
> because if IW_AUTH_KEY_MGMT_802_1X || IW_AUTH_KEY_MGMT_PSK , then you
> want to pass unencrypted EAPOL packets.

IW_AUTH_KEY_MGMT was added to support NDIS-like drivers that want to
generate WPA IE internally. Many drivers, e.g., Host AP, do not use them
at all. Consequently, I wanted to have a separate parameter for this
particular case. Drivers do not need to implement support for both
cases.

> Likewise for IW_AUTH_WPA_ENABLED which you can get from
> IW_AUTH_WPA_VERSION:
> /* IW_AUTH_WPA_VERSION values */
> #define IW_AUTH_WPA_VERSION_DISABLED    0
> #define IW_AUTH_WPA_VERSION_WPA         1
> #define IW_AUTH_WPA_VERSION_WPA2        2
> If IW_AUTH_WPA_VERSION == IW_AUTH_WPA_VERSION_DISABLED then WPA is
> disabled, else if IW_AUTH_WPA_VERSION_WPA || IW_AUTH_WPA_VERSION_WPA2
> then it's enabled.

This is not the same. IW_AUTH_WPA_ENABLED is used to configure the
driver in WPA mode before any scan requests whereas IW_AUTH_WPA_VERSION
is used only after the scan requests. Drivers are free to not implement
IW_AUTH_WPA_ENABLED handler if they are always in "WPA mode".