No WPA/RSN IE

Jouni Malinen jkmaline
Wed Aug 25 15:49:28 PDT 2004

On Wed, Aug 25, 2004 at 03:33:04PM -0700, Ben Weintraub wrote:

> I am trying to use wpa_supplicant with the hostap drivers to connect to
> a Cisco Aironet 1100 AP which is doing WPA-PSK.

> --SNIP--
> Scan results: 1
> Selecting BSS from priority group 0
> 0: 00:11:5c:25:3f:d0 ssid='cisco_wpa' wpa_ie_len=0 rsn_ie_len=0
>    skip - no WPA/RSN IE
> No suitable AP found.
> --SNIP--
>
> over and over again in a loop.  I tried sniffing from another client
> while doing this to see if the WPA IE was actually there and it looks
> like it was.  Does anybody have any ideas about what I'm doing wrong
> here?

Which frame included the WPA IE? Beacon? Probe Response? Have you
configured the AP to include SSID in the Beacon frames? If not, you will
need to add scan_ssid=1 to the network block in wpa_supplicant.conf.
Which version of wpa_supplicant and Host AP driver are you using? If you
cannot get this working, please send me a wireless sniffer log that
includes both the probe request from the client and matching probe
response and couple of beacon frames from the AP.