802.1x troubles...

Larry LeBlanc larry.leblanc
Tue Aug 10 15:43:12 PDT 2004

Hello,

I'm (eventually) trying to setup a full-blown 802.11i AP using freeRADIUS but I thought I would take baby steps and see if I could get 802.1x working with the minimal EAP server built-in to hostapd. From what I can see in the hostapd logs things seem to work OK - I see messages indicating that the port is authorized and authenticated, i.e.:

wlan0: STA <my client MAC> IEEE 802.1X: authorizing port
wlan0: STA <my client MAC> IEEE 802.1X: authenticated

But my (WinXP) client doesn't seem to understand that it is authenticated. My DHCP queries fail and if I force another query Windows launches into the authentication process again. So it seems Windows does not understand the link is up.

I am using hostapd-0.2.4 with hostap-driver-0.2.4. In hostapd.conf I have set the following:

ieee8021x=1
minimal_eap=1
wep_key_len_broadcast=13
wep_key_len_unicast=13
wep_rekey_period=0 # for now I'd just like to get one!
eapol_key_index_workaround=0 # since I'm setting unicast keys

I've attached the output from "hostapd -ddd". If anyone has any hints, I'd love to hear them. If you need me to capture and post any additional data, let me know.

Thanks,

Larry