Problem with hostap_plx 0.1.3 and 2.6.6-rc3 with pheenet card

Pavel Roskin proski
Wed Apr 28 12:57:49 PDT 2004

On Wed, 28 Apr 2004, Ruben Puettmann wrote:

> > Things to try:
> >
> > Disable the check for COR register to see if the card would work.
> >

> hostap_plx: 0.1.3 - 2004-02-08 (Jouni Malinen <jkmaline at cc.hut.fi>)
> PCI: Found IRQ 5 for device 0000:00:0e.0
> TMD7160 PCI/PCMCIA adapter: io=0xeff4, irq=5, pccard_io=0x1000
> hostap_plx: Registered netdevice wlan0
> hostap_plx: card initialization timed out
> hostap_plx: hardware initialization failed

This means that you have a bigger problem than just the COR register.

> > Check older versions to see which version breaks compatibility with
> > your card.  You may need to downgrade to an older kernel to be able to
> > compile older versions.  At least please post what version was working
> > for you.
>
> In the moment not possible cause other issuses (not before weeekend)
>
> > To see if the card is working, please try orinoco_plx from a recent
> > version of Orinoco driver
> > (http://www.ozlabs.org/people/dgibson/dldwd/orinoco-0.15rc1.tar.gz)
>
> orinoco_tmd 0.15rc1STA (Joerg Dorchain <joerg at dorchain.net>)
> PCI: Found IRQ 5 for device 0000:00:0e.0
> orinoco_tmd: Detected Orinoco/Prism2 TMD device at 0000:00:0e.0 irq:5,
> io addr:0x1000
> eth2: failed to initialize firmware (err = -19)
> orinoco_tmd: Cannot register network device

This means that your problem is not specific to HostAP.  Most likely you
have a hardware problem that appeared just recently.  Then the old driver
won't work.  Please check all connections.  Make sure the PCMCIA card is
not inserted upside down.  Make sure the PCI card is inserted tighly.

There is a little chance that the old hostap_plx did something right that
both the new hostap_plx and orinoco_tmd do wrong.  That's the most
interesting case.

There is also a little chance that the new kernel has a problem with your
system (PCI bus or something like that).  Then the new hostap_plx would
work with the old kernel you were using.  It's quite strange that the card
has I/O ports at eff4 with size 16, i.e. the I/O window is not
size-aligned.

--
Regards,
Pavel Roskin