linux kernel source

Les Bell lesbell
Tue Apr 27 21:19:45 PDT 2004

On Red Hat systems, the kernel sources can be installed from the
installation CD's, either as part of the install, or with the command

rpm -ivh /mnt/cdrom/RedHat/RPMS/kernel-source-2.4..yy-zz.i386.rpm

(once you've got the right CD in the drive and mounted, of course). NB, the
kernel source RPM is on one of the binaries CD's. The
kernel-2.4.yy-zz.src.rpm is a different thing entirely.

Once the kernel source has been installed, it will appear in
/usr/src/linux-2.4.yy-zz, with a symlink simply called "linux-2.4". Adding
a symlink called "linux" is not a bad idea:

cd /usr/src
ln -s linux-2.4.yy-zz linux

>From this point onwards, it's just a matter of configuring the kernel
source to match the kernel you're actually running. To read how to do this,
see the article at

http://www.lesbell.com.au/Home.nsf/b8ec57204f60dfcb4a2568c60014ed0f/a81f3ecb7cf5028eca256cf2003035ca?OpenDocument

Although this is a general article on kernel recompilation, it also
describes the technique that I use to configure the RH source so that I can
recompile hostap when required.

Best,

--- Les Bell, RHCE, CISSP
[http://www.lesbell.com.au]