Flashing Linksys WPC11 Card

Pavel Roskin proski
Tue Apr 27 12:35:33 PDT 2004

On Tue, 27 Apr 2004, Mikel Waxler wrote:

> I am getting this message on boot:
> wifi0: Warning: secondary station firmware version 1.4.2 does not seem to
> work in Host AP mode
>
> So I went about trying to upgrade the card, since it seems this station
> version does not work.
>
> My card reports this as its firmware:
> wifi0: NIC: id=0x8002 v1.0.0
> wifi0: PRI: id=0x15   v0.3.0
> wifi0: STA: id=0x1f   v1.4.2
>
> I cant seem to find any mention of 8002 as a valid NICID version anywhere.
> I did find a really old post on some list where someone had a card that
> reported the NICID as 8002 but I think that may have been a typo.
> I did flashed the card a long time ago with a flash tool I downloaded
> directly from linksys' site.

8002 is valid.  It's not a typo.

> I am not really sure where this leaves me? I have tried force-flashing
> with some of the newer images (such as 1.7.2) but every image claims it is
> not compatable with 8002.

Please don't try any "force-flashing" with a Prism2 card.  You won't be
able to recover it without hardware modification.

Use 1.7.1 firmware.  s1010701.hex is what you need.  The HOWTO on flashing
is here: http://linux.junsun.net/intersil-prism/

> I also have a lucent silver card but I am using the linksys WPC11 PCI
> adapter card I every I read says that it is only compatible with the
> linksys card I have or a similar Prism2 card. Has anyone gotten a Silver
> card to work in one of these PCI cards? Also can you even use a silver
> card with hostap?

Maybe you mean WDT11?  I'm assuming your adapter has PLX9052 chip on it.
Then it should work with Orinoco cards, but you'll need Orinoco driver
(orinoco_plx), not HostAP.  Get it here: http://www.nongnu.org/orinoco/

--
Regards,
Pavel Roskin