wpa-psk combined with non-encrypted connections?

Jouni Malinen jkmaline
Wed Apr 21 21:37:00 PDT 2004

On Wed, Apr 21, 2004 at 07:15:01AM -0400, Sergio M. Ammirata wrote:

> I am using hostap (no d) to configure a wds link with wpa encryption
> (aes-ccmp). When I do this I can no longer get any client to connect to the
> Access Points because the only way to get the wpa-psk to work between the
> two boxes is to set up a default key:
>
> hostap_crypt_conf wlan0 ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff CCMP $wpa2hexkey

That's not WPA-PSK, it's CCMP with static key configuration.. WPA-PSK
would include key management.

> Windows XP is supposed to support AES-CCMP if you have the latest service
> pack installed. However, I could not get it to authenticate against a hostap
> box configured with wpa-psk. Has anyone being successful with a setup like
> this one?

If you are trying to use WPA-PSK without hostapd, it will not work.
hostpad is needed to implement the WPA Authenticator functionality
(e.g., exchanging keys for the TKIP/CCMP algorithm).

> Are there any plans to support simultaneous unencrypted and aes-ccmp
> encrypted connections?

If you mean simultaneous support for client stations that use CCMP and
other stations that use plaintext, it is not in my near future plans.