Long Distance Links And ACK Timing

Jim TerWee jim
Thu Apr 8 06:44:10 PDT 2004

Marty Galyean said:
> On Wed, 2004-04-07 at 21:36, Jim TerWee wrote:
>> The ACK Timing is a firmware thing non adjustable by hostap. Distance we
>> have several running 13 to 14 miles without any problems. 20 miles has
>> been too far when we tested that. So somewhere in between 14 to 20 miles
>> it will become unacceptable.
>>
> Couldn't the firmware be flashed on many boards with a modified
> version?  Or is it in a part of firmware that is not flashable?  Or am I
> mistaken that firmware downloads are common on many hostap compatible
> boards?  Sorry for the newbiness of the questions in advance.

If distance is an issue wander over to the madwifi project and take a look
at the driver for the Atheros chip set. Not even close to hostap in
maturity but you can adjust your ack levels but be prepared to be working
with a beta level driver.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/madwifi/

Jim TerWee

The important thing is not to stop questioning. -- Albert Einstein