modifying beacon contents

Jouni Malinen jkmaline
Sun Apr 4 18:28:41 PDT 2004

On Mon, Mar 29, 2004 at 05:24:36AM -0500, Mustafa C. Kuscu wrote:

> In other words, the problem is how to change the beacons/probe responses
> etc to reflect the change to the capability info field. I see two symbols
> "capability" and "capab_info" but I could not find the function that
> generates the beacons, which probably resides in the card. Then, is there
> an interface to play with the beacon parameters?

Beacon and Probe Response frames are generated by the firmware. If you
happen to be using STA firmware version 1.7.0 or newer, you could try to
use CAPINFO RID (0xFCC0, HFA384X_RID_CAPINFO) to control the capability
info field in these frames. You should be able to test this with

hostap_rid wlan0 set fcc0 01 01
                              ^ bit 8
(this is 16-bit little endian field)

I haven't verified whether this works properly. You may need to reset
port0 with 'iwpriv wlan0 reset 2' after changing this.