key problem

Jeff Meden blade
Fri Sep 19 11:05:00 PDT 2003

The biggest problem is the hex/ascii conversion.  Windows attempts to
figure this automatically, based on the size of the key you give it.
Iwconfig, by default, will accept a hex key and will set the encryption
type to whatever fits, padding it with zeroes until it fills the key
appropriately.  You can use the s:[ascii] option to set a ascii key,
which is sized and padded similarly You can also set or check it using
the hostap tool hostap_crypt_conf, if your drivers are so configured.
This tool lets you view and set individual station keys as well, and is
a bit more descriptive than iwconfig.  Hope this helps!

jeff