HostAP 0.0.4 locking up

Christopher Evans cwevans
Sat Sep 13 19:12:44 PDT 2003

Oh yeah, I should of mentioned that once I made gcc link back to
gcc-3.3 and recompiled so that the kernel and hostap were compiled with
the same version of gcc, everything worked out great.  I've been using
the link, and I was just going to get started with testing out wep and
802.1x support.

Thanks for making such a great program.

On Saturday, September 13, 2003, at 07:03  PM, Jouni Malinen wrote:

> On Sat, Sep 13, 2003 at 06:13:25PM -0700, Christopher Evans wrote:
>
>> With the confirmation that James B Hiller gave me off list saying his
>> system worked, I took a closer look at my set up.  As a note, I'm
>> using
>> debian unstable which has gcc default to 3.3.  I changed this set up
>> link to the stable 2.9something gcc.  The debs for hostap change the
>> compiler to specifically call gcc-3.3 which resulted in incompatible
>> kernel and modules.
>
> I'm not completely sure I understood what version of gcc you used when
> the system locked up. Was the kernel compiled with different gcc that
> Host AP module? If yes, that will in many cases cause random looking
> errors (gcc 2.9* vs. 3.* _will_ result in incompatible code). Can you
> reproduce the lockup when both the kernel and the Host AP modules are
> compiled with the same compiler version?
>
> --
> Jouni Malinen                                            PGP id
> EFC895FA

       -+--++---+++----++++-----+++++-----++++----+++---++--+-
      ___
  _.-|   |          |\__/,|   (`\      | Chris Evans
  "-.|___|        _.( T   )  `  /      | cwevans at acm.org
.+|______|__.-||__)`-'(((/  (((/      |  "Any technology distinguishable
                                       |  from magic, is not advanced
   Nika plays with a computer mouse    |  enough" -- Gregory Benford
       BY: Mike Rosulek                |
          http://showcase.netins.net/web/mikewrld/ascii/