Packet loss on an 11 mile link...

Curtis V. Schleich cvslist
Mon Sep 8 08:55:34 PDT 2003

Good, thanks!  I've dropped the speed on the ap to 5.5M, I'll watch to see
if that makes the difference.  In the meantime, I wonder if RTS or Frag
threshhold should be turned on, and if so, what are appropriate value ranges
to experiment with?  Here's output from my iwconfig on the AP interface:

wlan0     IEEE 802.11b  ESSID:"xxxxxxxxx"
          Mode:Master  Frequency:2.437GHz  Access Point: xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
          Bit Rate=5.5Mb/s   Sensitivity=1/3
          Retry min limit:8   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
          Encryption key:off
          Power Management:off
          Link Quality:0  Signal level:0  Noise level:0
          Tx excessive retries:706  Invalid misc:44107   Missed beacon:0

This is shortly after a reset, so I'm wondering if the Tx Excessive retries
or invalid misc are indicating anything specific.  DMESG output does not
report anything.  Is there any specific way that I can understand these
values better?

Thanks, all!

Curtis V. Schleich,
CCAonline, Inc.