wlan0: SW TICK stuck

Jouni Malinen jkmaline
Sun Oct 19 18:54:09 PDT 2003

On Sun, Oct 19, 2003 at 03:55:40PM -0700, Christopher Evans wrote:

> wlan0: SW TICK stuck? Bits=0x0 EvStat=8003 IntEn=e018
> wlan0: SW TICK stuck? Bits=0x0 EvStat=8003 IntEn=e018
> wlan0: SW TICK stuck? Bits=0x0 EvStat=8003 IntEn=e018
> wlan0: SW TICK stuck? Bits=0x0 EvStat=8003 IntEn=e018
> wlan0: INFDROP event
>
> the number of the sw ticks seem to once a second, and is printed 3 or 4
> times before the INFDROP event is printed.  As noted in
> http://lists.shmoo.com/pipermail/hostap/2003-July/003457.html, the
> kernel was locked, and I hard reboot the system.

Do you see any error messages before the first SW TICK stuck message?
Something hung the kernel quite thoroughly since only the hw interrupts
are being processed and everything else is stopped. Could you, e.g., try
to use text console and enable all debug messages to the console with
'dmesg -n 8'? SW TICK stuck is just notifying that something has already
gone horribly wrong, but the really useful information would be know
what happened just before the first such message.

I did not notice any problems in the syslog messages, but those log
files are most probably missing the events just before the kernel
stopped running timer handlers.