Disabling scanning

Jouni Malinen jkmaline
Tue Oct 14 17:51:32 PDT 2003

On Tue, Oct 14, 2003 at 03:37:47PM -0700, Vijay Raghunathan wrote:

> I'd like to know if it is possible (if so, how?) to completely disable
> scanning (both passive and active) in a client device.

See README and "Manual scan and roaming (mode 2)" for somewhat related
mode.

> Basically, on the client, I want to manually set the ESSID, channel,
> etc., using iwconfig and then have the client directly proceed to the
> join request stage without doing any scanning (of course, there is an
> access point that is operating on the specified channel and ESSID). If I
> have to switch to Ad-hoc mode to be able to do this, that's fine too.

You should be able to control scanning, but I don't think I have fully
added support for setting the channel. Please take a look at
hostap_join_ap() function in driver/modules/hostap_ioctl.c. It sets
req.channel based on a scan result entry (entry->chid). I have not
verified, but it might be enough to change that part to use
local->channel and skip all the scan results altogether. If you try
this, please let me know wether it worked..