struct net_device private data allocation and Linux 2.2 testing

Jouni Malinen jkmaline
Sat Oct 11 19:42:10 PDT 2003

I changed Host AP driver to allocate struct net_device private data with
one allocation (i.e., the private data is after the struct net_device).
This allows kernel to free both in one operation and makes it possible
to use dev->destructor to resolve issues with removing interfaces with
Linux 2.6.x.

I tested this with Linux 2.6 and 2.4, but not with any 2.2.x version
because I do not use 2.2.x in any of my test systems. The changes
required some compatibility wrappers for old kernels and I only verified
that the driver compiles successfully. Could someone who is still using
Linux 2.2.x please test whether the current CVS version of Host AP
driver still works? I would be most interested in knowing whether it is
can successfully add and remove a WDS interface (iwpriv wlan0
wds_add/del <addr>).