Timing and fragmentation

Jerry mrcool
Fri Oct 10 14:38:07 PDT 2003

  Thanks for your reply... according to that article (
http://www.personaltelco.net/index.cgi/MaximumDistance ) my distance (12ish
miles) is non-issue as far as timing goes, with the max being 21 miles...

   Now, can fragmentation help any for the packet loss?   It doesnt appear
that the fragmentation command (iwconfig wlan0 frag xxx) works... i have
10/3/03 CVS.

here is a typical : "iwconfig wlan0" (with the names changed to protect the
guilty)...

"Warning: Driver for device wlan0 has been compiled with version 13
of Wireless Extension, while this program is using version 12.
Some things may be broken..."

    I suppose that could have something to do with it... this is a stock
suse 8.0 kernel/install.  I    will  consider updating wireless tools, but
last time i tried it, it broke everything i dont wanna climb up and bring it
down to hook a monitor and keyboard on it if i dont have to....

wlan0     IEEE 802.11b  ESSID:"BS-ESSID"  Nickname:"MrCool"
          Mode:Managed  Frequency:2.442GHz  Access Point: 00:02:2D:AA:BB:CC
          Bit Rate:2Mb/s   Sensitivity=1/3
          Retry min limit:8   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
          Encryption key:1234-5678-90   Security mode:restricted
          Power Management:off
          Link Quality:32/92  Signal level:-81 dBm  Noise level:-100 dBm
          Tx excessive retries:87643  Invalid misc:15074   Missed beacon:0

This is linked to a lucent based hardware AP broadcasting 1 full watt.  Mine
is a 200Mw Engenius.   I have tried the 200Mw SMC card and it has better
signal, but drops more packets...

Again, thanks for your replys.

Jerryf