Problem with 2.6.0-test9, linksys wpc 11 v3

Jon Nelson jnelson-hostap
Tue Nov 25 06:34:17 PST 2003

On Fri, 21 Nov 2003, Jon Nelson wrote:

> On Fri, 21 Nov 2003, Jouni Malinen wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Nov 17, 2003 at 11:42:05AM -0600, Jon Nelson wrote:
> >
> > > Nov 15 16:07:04 workstation kernel: hostap_cs: CVS (Jouni Malinen
> > > <jkmaline at cc.hut.fi>)
> >
> > > Nov 15 16:07:06 workstation kernel: wifi0: invalid skb->cb magic
> > > (0x00000000, expected 0xf08a36a2)
> >
> > Are you by any change trying to use wifi0 interface directly instead of
>
> Not sure.  I'm using whatever the pcmcia stuff is told to use. I can
> check to make sure, but I don't think I'm using wifi*.

I was using the wifi interface.  wifi0 is the interface name sent to
/etc/pcmcia/network (along with 'start').
I edited that file thusly:

if [ "$DEVICE" = "wifi0" ]; then
  DEVICE="wlan0"
fi

and everything now works.

However, this wifi/wlan thing is not documented anywhere (not in
anything that comes from a CVS checkout, anyway).

Additionally, at least in the context of using stock pcmcia scripts,
doesn't seem entirely correct. The idea of a wifi interface that is the
'raw' radio is pretty cool, but I'd much prefer that the driver worked
without having to edit the pcmcia support files. Is there a better way
to do this?

Just FYI, I was using 2.6.0-test10 last night when I got it working.