Successful pci compilition of hostap-driver-0.1.2 in Fedora Core 1

bfeitell hostap
Mon Nov 24 23:13:42 PST 2003

Hello all:

I just signed on to the list recently and have lurked here for a few
days.

I would like to describe a successful??? compilation of
hostap-driver-0.1.2 for PCI in Fedora Core 1.

I edited the Makefile such that kernel source is /usr/src/linux-2.4 and
CC=gcc32

I then edited line 178 in driver/modules/hostap_compat.h such that it
reads:

#if (LINUX_VERSION_CODE < KERNEL_VERSION(2,4,22))

Apparently, Redhat has already made the changes there in its patched up
kernel source (2.4.22-1.2115.nptl).

This allowed make pci to complete without errors.

The hostap_pci driver can be made to work with "neat" (the redhat gui
network config tool) by manually adding "alias wlan0 hostap_pci" to
/etc/modules.conf.

I then copied my working orinoco config from /etc/sysconfig/ifup-eth1 to
ifup-wlan0 and edited it accordingly.

The graphical tool can bring the interface up and down and Wep works.

The machine in question is a laptop with a prism 2.5 mini pci card.

I have encountered a problem in that the machine slows to a crawl with
the driver loaded.  KDE "konsole" backspaces/deletes seem to take for
ever.  This may have to do with the patch addressed in the
hostap_compat.h file.  I'm not sure but it sure would be nice to get
this working in fedora.

Best Regards,
Bennett Feitell