Problem starting hostapd

Jouni Malinen jkmaline
Thu May 15 06:49:08 PDT 2003

On Thu, May 15, 2003 at 08:41:27AM +0100, David Goodenough wrote:

> When I start hostapd, even with -dd as an option, it comes back with
> just two lines:-
>
> ioctl(SIOCGIFINDEX): No such device
> ioctl[SIOCGIFINDEX]: No such device

> I have yet to find a hostap howto, which may be part of my problem.
> Are there setup stages I need to have gone through first?

Yes, you apparently skipped the most important part, reading included
documentation, mainly README.prism2. It explains how the kernel driver
should be compiled in order to support hostapd.

PS.

If you get the latest CVS snapshot from http://www.epitest.fi/, the
need for different compilation options (i.e., PRISM2_HOSTAPD define) has
been removed and hostapd should work with all builds.