Is hostapd really necessary?

Jouni Malinen jkmaline
Fri May 9 19:35:59 PDT 2003

On Fri, May 09, 2003 at 09:26:05AM -0700, doug held wrote:

> and now I get symbol errors.  malloc?  These look like very average symbols, and /usr/src/linux does indeed soft link to linux-2.4.20-8.

Well, they are average _user space_ symbols..

> /sbin/depmod -ae
> depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/2.4.20-8/net/hostapd.o
> depmod:         malloc
> depmod:         hostapd_flush

How did that hostapd.o end up being copied into kernel module directory?
It is an object file for the user space hostapd daemon and it most
certainly should not be in that directory. hostapd.o is created when you
run 'make' in hostapd directory. However, I don't think 'make install'
in any directory should copy it anywhere..