Some more WDS queries

Vic Berdin sndbeat
Sun Mar 30 22:18:38 PST 2003

Hello Jouni,

First of all, thanks to all your efforts on this
project and for trying to respond to all queries on
this list.

I've been playing with hostAP WDS since the day I've
posted my haphazzard queries, and I learned that most
of my questions are already covered in README.prism2 -
sorry about that.

Anyways, I do have some more queries pertaining WDS
behavior. Here's my setup:

Win98PC---air---WDS2---air---WDS1---wired---ISP

Win98PC (Orinoco Silver/Win98)
WDS2 (Linksys WPC11/Linux 2.2.20)
WDS1 (ZCOM-XI300/Linux 2.2.20)

For both WDS machines:
beacon_int=1000
ap_bridge_packets=0
autom_ap_wds=1
other_ap_policy=1
wds_type=2

I've already came up with additional wds.opts and wds
script to automate my needs, and everything is
*ALMOST* running as expected.

What caught my attention on your response is that, you
said that associations are expected to expire after 5
minutes of no activity (0 frames) from the stations.

See, I mentioned that my setup is *ALMOST* working,
because my connection from Win98PC seem to die down if
no activity has been performed for quite some time
(about 5mins or so). And the interesting part is that,
connectivity can be re-established if I engage an
activity (like pinging) from WDS2 to WDS1 (or WDS2 to
Win98PC). Having to continously 'ping' from WDS2
somehow keeps Win98PC connection available at all
times.
What I'd like to see, is to get a link from WDS2
clients to WDS1 onwards, 'UP' at all times.
Is there something I could check/tweak? Possible
important WDS setting I'm missing out?

TIA - And still experimenting... Vic

Message: 5