usr card dead ?

Jouni Malinen jkmaline
Thu Mar 27 19:54:26 PST 2003

On Wed, Mar 26, 2003 at 10:58:12AM +0100, Alessandro Bondoli wrote:

> I had bright idea to update firm on the USR2450 card: I updated firmware but
> something gone wrong; after reinstalling it on ap and reboot I've seen
> various errors claiming no MAC address and -110 error; card does not run
> anymore, iwconfig gives back a lot of error messages, essid and frequency
> gives back weird values and there is no way to change such parameters.
> I think the card is to be throwed away: am I right or is there something to
> be tried in order to save it ?

As far as I know, all Prism2/2.5/3 cards have a so called genesis mode
which allows rewriting the flash with a new image even if the current
image is corrupted. Prism2 cards require a bit modified PC Card adapter
(one pin needs to be pulled up (or down; I don't remember which it
was)). With Prism2.5/3, this should be possible without hardware
modifications. However, I haven't yet had enough time to implement
suitable driver for doing such low-level flash upgrade.