WDS links & P2P mode?

Mike Saywell ms
Thu Mar 27 03:37:59 PST 2003

Hi,

Well kind of :)

The wds interfaces are actually ethernet type interfaces, so broadcast
based.  Although they are a point to point link between the base stations,
they're not actually a point to point interface - like you get with
a ppp etc.  The reasoning behind this (I suspect) is so that you can
bridge the interfaces (exactly as you have done).  I'm wondering if they
can be truely point-to-point as this simplifies the addressing :)

The problem with bridging is that it sucks for scaling, turns a mesh
into a tree and as you say sucks for mobility.  Consequently we're nor
using bridging at all, each AP has it's own subnet and we route packets
normally.

On a separate note we've also developed so quite neat transparent mobile
IP software, this enables you to keep the same IP address no matter
which access point (and therefore subnet) you're connected to.  I won't
go into details here but it's open source and will be source-forged in
the near future :)

Cheers,

Mike