XP SP1 Questions

Dustin Marquess jailbird
Thu Mar 20 21:14:06 PST 2003

All,

I've been using Win2k and XP Pro machines fine with Hostap.  I've noticed
that my XP machines after applying SP1 and my Windows Server 2003 beta
machine both like to use some new Windows Wireless setup.  The problem is
I can't seem to get this thing to connect to my Hostap network to save my
life.

With WEP, it won't take my full 128-bit WEP key.  If I disable WEP on the
Hostap side and on the XP side, it still won't connect.  If I use the
prism control panel applet to config the card and skip the windows setup,
it works like a champ.

My only problem is the prism control panel applet doesn't do anything on
Windows Server 2003, so I can't use this workaround on there.

How do I go about using the built-in Windows wireless crap?  Do I have to
use 802.1x?  I tried using hostapd in standalone (without RADIUS) mode and
it didn't seem to help at all.  Do I have to have a RADIUS server to get
this damn Windows Server 2003 machine connected or what?

I'd really appreciate any help before I rip my hair out :)

Thanks!
-Dustin