APs compatable with hostap wds?

John Croft john.croft
Tue Mar 4 16:09:29 PST 2003

Ray wrote:
> Are there any APs out there that are known to work with hostap's
> implementation of wds?

We have a two RedHat 8.0's running HostAP CVS 20030303
(well, any since 1.5.6 came out)

/etc/modules.conf

	#
	alias wlan0 hostap_pci
	post-install hostap_pci \
		prism2_srec -r wlan0 rf010506.hex \
		&& \
		prism2_param wlan0 wds_type 4
	#

Then a Dlink DWL-900AP+ can connect in client mode by scanning for the
MAC quite easily - both at 3 metres and at 4 kms (with proper antennas).
Verified working on two different HostAP machines. Generally we only have
one pc at the client end, or a linux box routing for the users home network.

It's not using WDS, but also I've set it up that way as well, and it also
works. I just thought someone might be interested in this fact.

The funny thing is that both MAC addresses (the dlink ap and the client pc)
appear as being associated in
	/proc/net/hostap/wlan0/*

Come to think of it, I haven't thought to test it without the firmware loaded
or the wds_type being set. I might also try using a DWL-900 as well.
--
JohnC