Can I upgade firmware PRI:1.1.1/STA:1.5.6 on DWL-520

Craig Foster craig
Mon Mar 3 08:44:36 PST 2003

Javor Marinov <amoeba at dsm-wireless.com> said:

<-- SNIP -->

> MY QUESTION is:
>
> Can I upgrade firmware PRI 1.1.1/STA 1.5.6 on this card?
> Becouse, on the www.dlink.com I can't find firmware for DWL-520
>
> I find somewhere information for problem with STA:1.3.4
> may be corrupt packets .. or something like this ..

If my memory serves me, 1.3.4 was a fairly good firmware.  Whatever problem
you are having, my guess is that it is not firmware related.  But it's worh
trying a firmware upgrade, I suppose.

> If this upgrade is possible,
> where I can get this firmware , and
> how is better to upgrade: with windoze utils or with prism_srec ?

It is possible to upgrade if you find the right firmwares.  There is plenty
of information on this in the mailing list archives:

http://lists.shmoo.com/pipermail/hostap/

In particular, my post two days ago may be helpful to you:

http://lists.shmoo.com/pipermail/hostap/2003-March/001664.html

I generally use the windows utility for firmware upgrades.  prism2_srec has a
flag for flashing firmware to non-volatile memory, but it would appear that
the functionality is disabled by default.  (However, prism2_srec works great
for volatile firmware images!)  Anyone care to comment on flashing under
linux?

> btw, I get tarball with STA1.5.6 from message:
> http://lists.shmoo.com/pipermail/hostap/2003-January/001089.html
> following link http://aldebaran.feld.cvut.cz/~xmyslik/wifi

I can't vouch for those firmwares since I have never used them.  I also do
not know if any of those are non-volatile firmwares.  At least some of them
are for volatile memory only.  Prism firmware can be updated temporarily in
volatile memory (which is cleared when the card is reset) or it can be
permanently flashed to the card.  The volatile version of, say, STA 1.5.6
firmware is different from the non-volatile version.  I have use both the
Netgate and Aeropad non-volatile firmwares which are linked in the message
linked above without problems.

> Just I can't understand, is all this firmwares are compatible wiht all
> prism2;2.5 chipsets
> or may be firmware 1.4.9 is good ?

See the message linked above.  As for which firmwares are good and bad, the
HostAP Changelog a good source of information about that.  With regard to
1.4.9, it was one of the better ones, as I remember.  I used it on at least
two of my cards under both windows and linux for some time.  (I only upgraded
to 1.5.6 to get proper WDS functionality.)  You can find the Changelog on the
HostAP website ( http://hostap.epitest.fi/ ).