Bridging between wired ethernet and wireless ethernet

Leonardo Pereira Santos lsantos
Fri Jun 27 06:40:25 PDT 2003

I have the same setup you want to do and it take some time until the kernel
learns the MAC addresses. Try to the showmacs command.

#brctl showmacs br0

One thing that helps is to ping the brigde IP from a PC, then ping the same PC
from the wireless node.

On Thursday 26 June 2003 15:51, Jiri Fojtasek wrote:
> marco at elvizz.no-ip.com wrote:
> >Hello!
> >
> >I want to extend my wired ethernet with a wireless part.
> >I try to show how it should be:
> >
> >PC1   PC2   PC3   PC4   ...
> >
> > +-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+
> >
> >                     bridge running linux
> >                         with HostAP
> >                               ?
> >
> >  wireless node 1?
> >

> >-- being an ethernet-cable
> >+- being a wired-network adapter
> >?  being a wireless-network adapter
> >
> >Ok, as I said, I want to build up this bridge. I have kernel 2.4.20 with
> >bridging compiled as module. I also have the actual bridge-utils (0.9.6)
> >and hostap-0.0.3 installed.
> >Both ethernet-adapters are working fine (I tested each for itself).
> >So I load the bridge-module and enter:
> >
> ># brctl addbr br0
> ># brctl addif br0 eth0
> ># brctl addif br0 wlan0
> ># ifconfig eth0 0.0.0.0
> ># ifconfig wlan0 0.0.0.0
> ># ifconfig br0 192.168.1.10 netmask 255.255.255.0 up
> >
> >In /var/log/messages I see the bridge coming up with:
> >
> >Jun 26 11:34:42 bridge kernel: br0: port 2(wlan0) entering listening
> >state
> >Jun 26 11:34:42 bridge kernel: br0: port 1(eth0) entering listening
> >state
> >Jun 26 11:34:52 bridge kernel: br0: no IPv6 routers present
> >Jun 26 11:34:57 bridge kernel: br0: port 2(wlan0) entering learning
> >state
> >Jun 26 11:34:57 bridge kernel: br0: port 1(eth0) entering learning state
> >Jun 26 11:35:12 bridge kernel: br0: port 2(wlan0) entering forwarding
> >state
> >Jun 26 11:35:12 bridge kernel: br0: topology change detected,
> >propagating
> >Jun 26 11:35:12 bridge kernel: br0: port 1(eth0) entering forwarding
> >state
> >Jun 26 11:35:12 bridge kernel: br0: topology change detected,
> >propagating
> >

> >When I now try to ping the wireless-node from the wired-network or a
> >wired-node from the wireless-node, it fails without error-messages.
> >
> >I hope someone can help me and give me the right instructions...
> >
> >Thanks for listening...

> Hello
>
> Is the wlan0 in Managed or in the Master mode ? Your setup should work
> only is is wlan0 in Mater mode. When you want use this setup with wlan0
> in Managed mode, you must use the "parprouted"  daemon without the
> bridge utils ....
>
> PS: Iam using both setups with not problems ...
>
> Jiri

- --
Leonardo Pereira Santos
Engenheiro de Projetos
PD3 Tecnologia
av. Par? 330/202
(51) 3337 1237

Today Fortune tells us:
I suppose some of the variation between Boston drivers and the rest of the
country is due to the progressive Massachusetts Driver Education Manual which
I happen to have in my top desk drawer.  Some of the Tips for Better Driving
are worth considering, to wit:

[110.13]:
       "When traveling on a one-way street, stay to the right, so as not
        to interfere with oncoming traffic."

[22.17b]:
       "Learning to change lanes takes time and patience.  The best
        recommendation that can be made is to go to a Celtics [basketball]
        game; study the fast break and then go out and practice it
        on the highway."

[41.16]:
       "Never bump a baby carriage out of a crosswalk unless the kid's really
        asking for it."