Deauthentication of inactive STA causes a error

Joseph Chiu joseph
Thu Jun 26 13:25:55 PDT 2003

I've had a string of the "Could not find STA for this TX error", but also
when there was be active traffic to the station (and thus should not have
disassociated).  It seems to happen when a timeout reset occurs.

-----Original Message-----
From: hostap-bounces at shmoo.com [mailto:hostap-bounces at shmoo.com]On Behalf Of
Jiri Fojtasek
Sent: Thursday, June 26, 2003 12:06 PM
To: hostap at shmoo.com
Subject: Re: Deauthentication of inactive STA causes a error

Jiri Fojtasek wrote:

> Hello Jouni
>
> Iam trying to solve problem with random disassociatoin of my WDS
> clients (in cause of few minutes not responding from my WDS clients).
> I have done for this reason  a patch that that give me for this reason
> more detailed informations about the "Could not find STA for this TX
> error" error message ...
>
> I have found that the deauthentication frame always followed by this
> message:
>
> wlan0: STA 00:02:72:00:0f:f8 did not ACK activity poll frame
> wlan0: sending disassociation info to STA
> xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx(last=2189385, jiffies=2219485)
> wlan0: sending deauthentication info to STA
> xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx(last=2189385, jiffies=2219585)
> wlan0: Could not find STA xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx for this TX error
> (jiffies=2219585)
>
> (xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx is mac of the STA being deauthenticated)
>
> I think it mean that deauth frame is not sent ...
>
> I have took a deep look for this problem, and have found that in the
> hostap_ap.c, exactly in the ap_handle_timer function is imediatly
> after sending the deauth frame is the sta dealocated by ap_free_sta,
> so i think the delivery od the deauth frame must fail ...
>
> I think the solution should be by calling  the "ap_free_sta" in next
> sheduled of the "ap_handle_timer" event .
>
> PS: I had the same problem before you fix the activity pooling ...
>
> Jiri

Next proof . Txexc event is called in next jiffies:

wlan0: STA xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx did not ACK activity poll frame
wlan0: sending disassociation info to STA
xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx(last=2360077, jiffies=2390177)
wlan0: sending deauthentication info to STA
xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx(last=2360077, jiffies=2390277)
wlan0: Could not find STA xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx for this TX error
(jiffies=2390278)

Jiri