iwconfig chan & iwconfig nick

J. Patrick O'Neill Jr. joneill
Tue Jun 10 17:10:54 PDT 2003

I use the following script to setup my wireless AP.  When the script is run
I receive the message below.  However, all the commands can be run without
error individually from the command line.  What's the difference?

Thanks,

#!/bin/sh
# This files sets up the access to the Wireless AP

/sbin/iwpriv wlan0 maccmd 4
/sbin/iwpriv wlan0 maccmd 3
/sbin/iwpriv wlan0 maccmd 1
/sbin/iwpriv wlan0 addmac XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX
/sbin/iwpriv wlan0 addmac XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX
/sbin/iwpriv wlan0 addmac XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX
/sbin/iwpriv wlan0 maccmd 4
/sbin/iwconfig wlan0 nick "buffalo"
/sbin/iwconfig wlan0 essid "clearwater"
/sbin/iwconfig wlan0 key XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX [1]
/sbin/iwconfig wlan0 key restricted
/sbin/iwconfig wlan0 channel 11
/sbin/iwpriv wlan0 prism2_param 18 1
/sbin/iwpriv wlan0 reset 0

[root at buffalo root]# ./wireless_setup
Error for wireless request "Set ESSID" (8B1A) :
    SET failed on device wlan0 ; Invalid argument.
Error for wireless request "Set Frequency" (8B04) :
    SET failed on device wlan0 ; Invalid argument.
[root at buffalo root