EAPOL-Key and xsupplicant

Antonio Vilei antonio.vilei
Tue Jun 10 02:12:08 PDT 2003

Hello,

I configured hostap to use 802.1x. If I don't set WEP rekeying in hostapd
configuration file, everything works fine (I am using xsupplicant).
But if I set WEP rekeying, the AP sends the broadcast and unicast keys to
the STA via EAPOL-Key (I see them with ethereal on a card in monitor mode).
But the STA doesn't set the keys accordingly.
Indeed if I use hostap_crypt_conf from the STA, I get algorithm: none. And
iwconfig shows "Encryption key: off".
On the AP I see the keys for the STA and for broadcast.

As AP I am using hostap 0.0.3 in mode master with hostapd running.
hostapd.conf is reported below.

As STA I am using hostap 0.0.3 in mode managed (without hostapd) and
xsupplicant downloaded from the howto
http://www.missl.cs.umd.edu/wireless/eaptls/

Thanks in advance,
Antonio

Here is hostapd.conf of the AP:
##### hostapd configuration file
# Empty lines and lines starting with # are ignored

# AP netdevice name (without 'ap' prefix, i.e., wlan0 uses wlan0ap for
# management frames)
interface=wlan0

# hostapd event logger configuration
#
# Two output method: syslog and stdout (only usable if not forking to
# background).
#
# Module bitfield (ORed bitfield of modules that will be logged; -1 = all
# modules):
# bit 0 (1) = IEEE 802.11
# bit 1 (2) = IEEE 802.1X
# bit 2 (4) = RADIUS
#
# Levels (minimum value for logged events):
#  0 = verbose debugging
#  1 = debugging
#  2 = informational messages
#  3 = notification
#  4 = warning
#
logger_syslog=-1
logger_syslog_level=2
logger_stdout=-1
logger_stdout_level=2

# Debugging: 0 = no, 1 = minimal, 2 = verbose, 3 = msg dumps
debug=1

# Dump file for state information (on SIGUSR1)
dump_file=/tmp/hostapd.dump

# Daemonize hostapd process (i.e., fork to background)
daemonize=0

##### IEEE 802.11 related configuration
#######################################

# SSID to be used in IEEE 802.11 management frames
ssid=test

# Station MAC address -based authentication
# 0 = accept unless in deny list
# 1 = deny unless in accept list
# 2 = use external RADIUS server (accept/deny lists are searched first)
macaddr_acl=0

# Accept/deny lists are read from separate files (containing list of
# MAC addresses, one per line). Use absolute path name to make sure that the
# files can be read on SIGHUP configuration reloads.
#accept_mac_file=/etc/hostapd.accept
#deny_mac_file=/etc/hostapd.deny

# IEEE 802.11 specifies two authentication algorithms. hostapd can be
# configured to allow both of these or only one. Open system authentication
# should be used with IEEE 802.1X.
# Bit fields of allowed authentication algorithms:
# bit 0 = Open System Authentication
# bit 1 = Shared Key Authentication (requires WEP)
auth_algs=3

# Associate as a station to another AP while still acting as an AP on the
same
# channel.
#assoc_ap_addr=00:12:34:56:78:9a

##### IEEE 802.1X (and IEEE 802.1aa/D4) related configuration
#################

# Require IEEE 802.1X authorization
ieee8021x=1

# Use internal minimal EAP Authentication Server for testing IEEE 802.1X.
# This should only be used for testing since it authorizes all users that
# suppot IEEE 802.1X without any keys or certificates.
minimal_eap=0

# Optional displayable message sent with EAP Request-Identity
eap_message=hello

# WEP rekeying (disabled if key lengths are not set or are set to 0)
# Key lengths for default/broadcast and individual/unicast keys:
# 5 = 40-bit WEP (also known as 64-bit WEP with 40 secret bits)
# 13 = 104-bit WEP (also known as 128-bit WEP with 104 secret bits)
wep_key_len_broadcast=5
wep_key_len_unicast=5
# Rekeying period in seconds. 0 = do not rekey (i.e., set keys only once)
wep_rekey_period=300

# EAPOL-Key index workaround (set bit7) for WinXP Supplicant (needed only if
# only broadcast keys are used)
eapol_key_index_workaround=0

##### IEEE 802.11f - Inter-Access Point Protocol (IAPP)
#######################

# Interface to be used for IAPP broadcast packets
#iapp_interface=eth0

##### RADIUS configuration
# for IEEE 802.1X with external Authentication Server, IEEE 802.11
# authentication with external ACL for MAC addresses, and accounting

# The own IP address of the access point (used as NAS-IP-Address)
own_ip_addr=127.0.0.1

# RADIUS authentication server
auth_server_addr=127.0.0.1
auth_server_port=1812
auth_server_shared_secret=test

# RADIUS accounting server
#acct_server_addr=127.0.0.1
#acct_server_port=1813
#acct_server_shared_secret=secret

# Secondary RADIUS servers; to be used if primary one does not reply to
# RADIUS packets. These are optional and there can be more than one
secondary
# server listed.
#auth_server_addr=127.0.0.2
#auth_server_port=1812
#auth_server_shared_secret=secret2
#
#acct_server_addr=127.0.0.2
#acct_server_port=1813
#acct_server_shared_secret=secret2

# Retry interval for trying to return to the primary RADIUS server (in
# seconds). RADIUS client code will automatically try to use the next server
# when the current server is not replying to requests. If this interval is
set,
# primary server will be retried after configured amount of time even if the
# currently used secondary server is still working.
#radius_retry_primary_interval=600